Friday 27 September 2013

PRACTICE - FIVE

I knew Abuja’s corporate life. And, maybe, Lagos’. But nothing of Benin’s. Abuja young men looked dashing in their corporate attires. On good days, I did too. And today was a good day. It was a Tuesday; I hadn’t exhausted my wardrobe for the week. So, in my white shirt and black suit, I looked reasonably impressive. Red tie. I greeted the men – four of them – and they kept staring at me. Censure could have been on their minds, because government could appear in any form. But this was no censure. While the other men gazed on in confusion, Laide’s Dad spoke up with some… relaxed… cheer.
                “Duke how are you?”
I was pleased to hear him call my name. Extremely pleased.
                “I’m very fine, sir. Thank you. And how are you sir?”
                “We’re fine…” he replied.
                “Laide told me you were a little ill over the weekend… How are you now?”
                “It was nothing… serious… We old men fall ill sometimes,” he joked.
“These are my colleagues,” he said and, turning to the men he said “this is Duke…” And then he faced me and said, “Duke, what are you to me?” He was smiling mischievously and I felt cornered.
                “I am… I am… your… I’m a friend of the family, sir.”
That was the best I could come up with. He laughed; and I did too.
                The mood in the room improved. The other men took the cue…
                “I targeted coming at lunch time so I wouldn’t really be… getting in the way of work…
“I could go and wait somewhere for a better time…”
One of the men on his way out quipped, “Every time is lunch time here oo!”
He was the roundest of them all.
They laughed as they exited the room.
Now that I had my ‘father-in-law’s’ attention, he asked me when I came into town…
                “I understand you don’t live in Benin…”
                “I just came in, sir,” I replied.
                “From Abuja?” he sounded surprised… perhaps not at the speed, but at taking a full-fledged working day for a gamble trip.
                “Yes sir. I had to skip work… I flew.”
                “Okaaay… I was wondering.
“So… have you seen Laide?”
                “I didn’t come to see her, sir; I came to see you…”
“Me?!”
“Yes sir! To continue to seek your favorable consideration of me. I know I’m a stranger, but in a matter of time you’ll get to know me… and probably trust me…”
He thought awhile.
                “You know Laide’s in school… and nothing will happen; nothing will even be considered until she’s through!”
                “I know sir…”
                “But the… the intensity of your… your… request suggests otherwise,” he protested.
                “Sir, I’m… kind of… asking your permission to date her…”
                “To date her?”
                “Kind of… Sir.”
                “Aren’t you already dating her?”
                “I… I don’t live in Benin, sir.”
                “Yes! But you two know how you have been doing it!”
                “Sir… I… I want to… I want to…” I was staring at the desk now, not the man… “I want to… start the process of asking your permission to… let her travel for a week.”
                “Travel to where?”
                “To Abuja… and we can take a vacation together…”
I didn’t know where I got the audacity to voice my request from. But then, I thought, what was the big deal? The worst I could get was a no.
His eyes grew round.
                “Are you… are you insane?! You’re asking me… to allow my daughter… you’re asking me to let my daughter loose? Where are you from?! Is that how you operate in your place?!”
                “Sir, I know it sounds stupid…”
                “It sounds more than stupid… it sounds disrespectful!” he yelled.
                “Sir, I know it sounds stupid, but I have the audacity to ask because I know that I would never ever hurt Laide in anyway whatsoever. I give you my word… I will not even touch her… We wouldn’t even lie on the same bed… Not just because you won’t want it so, but also because I won’t…”
                “Then what do you want her to visit you for?”
                “Sir… oh… so we can be together… share our company; dream together, plan, grow… put our challenges into perspective… I bring to the fore the unfavorable conditions here and the ones at my place, we analyze them… determine our chances…
“Because, sir,” I looked squarely at him, “if you foreclose abruptly this opportunity we’ve found… to spend our lives together… you might be doing an eternal damage to both our hearts…
“Sir, let us see reasons, if any, why we can’t be together – especially in our own way; let’s not just be systematically kept away from each other…”
                “Hmm!” he heaved.
                “Yes sir,” I continued. “It will be like a convention for her and me… to either buoy our determination, or kill it; whichever, in the end we’ll know… If love, and commitment, and honor, and trust are not a sufficient foundation upon which we can build a home… a marriage… we’ll not need anyone to tell us to stay apart.
“If there are other things we must have that we don’t already have, then we’ll understand. We’ll know if distance and tribal or religious differences are strong enough to crush the unification of two souls occasioned by deep love and affection… and respect…”
                “Young man… young man,” he intervened. “I will not lie that your speech is not touching, no. As a matter of fact, it is impressive… But don’t forget that I was once a young man, and I know how love intoxicates… Believe me, it can turn a stammerer into an orator. I’m not saying… don’t get me wrong…I am not… downplaying your gentlemanly qualities. As a matter of fact, I extol them. I am only saying that love is mostly a momentary thing… a phase thing… it soon blows over, and when it does, the reality it leaves behind is different. Our people say the drunk should go and sleep, when they wake, then they can attend to the real business of life with clear eyes. It’s the reason why alcohol is served only after serious matters have been addressed in a meeting.” He laughed. I chuckled.
“Time and experience have taught our people not to bank on love alone when marrying because, in following the lead of love alone, serious issues are not taken into consideration. And, while the two people in question love each other, what about their families? Marriage is not just about the man and the woman, you know… it extends to their families, their backgrounds, their histories… This is the real world, young man, not your fantasy ‘Abuja marriage’ world. I’ve heard a lot of stories about that your Abuja. We’re not like that here. Here we’re very circumspect.” He finished.
                “I’ve heard all you said, sir.” I cleared my throat. His long, conquering speech had subdued me some.
“The depth of your wisdom is intriguing. I expected nothing less, anyway. Your daughter herself has the body of a twenty-two year old girl, but her mind is that of a forty-year old woman. A real chip off the old block!
“I do agree with you, sir, that love wanes… that the drunk have nothing meaningful to accomplish other than sleep… I agree sir. As much as I do not believe that my love for Laide will ever fade, I do not want to leave anything to chance… or fate. That is why I want to consummate my love for her sooner than later… to invest this… this… huge… deposit… of affection I have for her. I do not want to leave it there and have it fester and grow cold and become indifferent… I don’t want it killed by the dispositions of our families. That is why I am taking this road… that’s why I seek to invest it… so that in the future, even if I don’t have any interest on it, at least I’ll have my capital – whole and entire – and that’s a whole lot.”
He smiled.
                “She did mention that you’re an accountant.”
                “I read accounting, sir.”
                “That makes you an accountant, doesn’t it?”
                “Well, I don’t work as an accountant, sir.”
                “What do you work as?”
                “I’m more into the initiation and development of projects…”
                “I see…” His gesture suggested he needed some explanation.
                “Well, my accounting background is often quite detrimental to project initiation and development work…”
                “Detrimental you say?”
                “Yes sir.”
                “That’s a negative word, isn’t it?”
                “It is sir. By that I mean… a project developer is supposed to just keep initiating and developing projects. It is the job of the financial departments to consider the viability of such projects and decide if the organization should embark on them… and they suggest the best approaches the organization might use. So, in my case, in the processes of initiation and development, I worry a lot about costs; and the implication is that it reduces my speed and drive. It is good to consider costs when making any plans, but the financial departments have the full apparatuses to extensively analyze costs against expected short and long term benefits. So… if I’m there at my desk, getting discouraged at every turn because of “high costs”, the financial guys wouldn’t have much developed projects to analyze; and so less work is done. On the other hand, if I could get myself to ignore the costs, the financial guys could see a lot of sense and viability in a project I might consider too expensive to embark on… So… that’s that sir.”
                “Interesting!”
                “Thank you sir.”
                “Erm… what do I offer you?”
                “Oh, nothing sir. Your attention is a lot already.”
                “Really?”
                “Yes sir; really.”
                “Well, your coming here has really helped your cause, I must admit. We’ll see how things go.”
                “Thank you sir. Just a week… no harm whatsoever.”
                “Oh… that… Well, we’ll see.”
                “Thanks a lot sir.”
                “Are you going by the house?”
                “Oh no sir. Seeing you was my sole purpose for coming.”
                “So… you’re going back to Abuja?”
                “Yes sir.”
                “Right now?”
                “Yes sir. But if I can’t make it I’ll just pass the night in a hotel somewhere and leave in the morning. It’s either a flight now, or a hotel and a bus trip in the morning.”
                “We can shelter you for the night… if that worries you so much…”
                “Oh, don’t bother sir; I’ll be fine.”
                “Sure?”
                “Yes sir. Thanks for the offer. I’m really grateful.”
                “You’re welcome.
“You say you don’t want anything?”
                “I’m fine sir. I have to go.”
                “Okay Duke…”
                Blur.

Straight to Abuja that same day, and I showed up at work full of excuses and apologies. If I continued like this my days were numbered.


No comments:

Post a Comment