Wednesday 18 September 2013

PRACTICE - TWO

Phone conversations, of course, had to precede my trip to Benin. All of a sudden, it was all sounding mundane… We had been dreaming of a future together, but maybe with levity. We hadn’t really considered our dream coming true; if we did, at least not soon. Not now that there was still the other clear favorite I hadn’t even met; not now that we hadn’t even spent up to four cumulative hours together, ever; not now that we hadn’t even known our families’ ethnic and religious prejudices – if any; not now that she wasn’t even done with school… True, our innocent love was probably too young to be so burdened by the arduous journey to matrimony in Black Africa. But, under the circumstances, I argue, it was more reasonable to have this baby at six months, and use the incubator post-delivery, than to risk losing it at nine. So I told her I was coming, and that was that. If she didn’t love me enough, she should put it off. I knew what pressure I put on her. I was sorry. But I had to do this.

She announced that she was going to have a visitor. Normally, visitors came and went, but when a girl announced beforehand that a visitor was coming, then perhaps the said visitor had a mission. So that was arguably all the role she played – that announcement; when the visitor came, it’d be up to him to explain his mission. I could do that.
                When I was ushered to a seat in the living room, I realized it was typical for the man of the house not to be there at the time… perhaps so as not to appear too eager to receive suitors for his daughter or something… It was male pride. They were usually in their rooms, so that when they took the pains and came out on your account, you’d better have something important to say.
                When he came out, I stood up and greeted; good-breeding oozing from my every pore. He didn’t answer coherently, nor did he shake my hand. He just made his way to his own seat and sat down. Then he managed to ask me to sit. A man could be nice and kind every day of the week, but not on the day you come to make enquiries about marrying his only daughter – especially if you seem to come out of nowhere.
I didn’t need to waste his time.
                “Sir, my name is Duke. I have found in your daughter someone to love and cherish forever, and it is my wish to marry her…” 
I may have been shaking, but, like I always do in tense occasions, I bury the shakiness of my voice in its depth. Baritones don’t shake… don’t tremble… It was my blessing.
He fixed his gaze on me in a mockery fashion. I didn’t know where to cast mine. I looked at him a little, and I looked away; a little, and I lowered my gaze; a little, and I heaved… I seemed to have the weight of the world on my shoulders.
                “Is this how you go about it where you come from?”
Huh?! I could hardly help stuttering before these mean men these days; but here was where I needed to be bravest.
                “I will fulfil every custom, sir, every law, every tradition… I just came to let you know… so… Anything that is required of me I’ll do… any exercise… any… any… presentations…”
(Oops! Presentation? Did I think I was in the office now?!)
He cut me short;
                “You say you just came to let me know?”
                “Ye… Yes sir!”
                “Now I know,” he said. “I think your purpose is achieved.”
He stood up to leave. I stood up too, presenting my gift.
                “Leave it on the table,” he said.
I thanked him. I didn’t know if I was to leave now or what. He left me there in my confusion. 

Laide came in. I asked her for a glass of water. I was drinking it when her Mom came in. And she was kinder than her husband.
Laide saw me off to the junction.
                “At least I’ve told him, and now he knows. He’s going to be seeing a lot more of me,” I seemed to threaten.
Laide just walked, she didn’t talk.

After I reached an agreement with the cab guy I waved, I turned to give Laide a hug before leaving. It was almost cold – the hug. I didn’t mind. This was a decisive move. To be or not to be? This ageless question will have an answer soon. As I headed back to the hotel, I thought: what nauseous rigmarole I have initiated before February 2013!

2 comments: