Thursday 16 April 2015

LABYRINTHS - EIGHT

The rest of the day passed without activity; and that sweet ambience of the fore afternoon seemed like a short dream from which I’d long awoken. Now night fell on a different house. A quiet one... One without the sweet hustle and bustle of budding love. It was now Hamlet’s Soliloquy all over again – to be or not to be – the state of things before they are... before they exist, huh! We better watched how we quarrelled, I thought; the right measure of warfare and our romance would be like a well seasoned food. Excess quarrels would mean a cuisine laden with salt... Who could eat it!
This Sunday was supposed to be penetration Sunday. Just as the name implies. But now it wasn’t to be. I better made sure we attained that height before this week began its descent to weekend again, or she would develop thick skin against my eventual sexual overtures. If that happened, everything we did would just be base. How would a man and a woman relate if sex was out of the question? If a woman’s femaleness diminished even her male casual friends would instinctively find a new approach to the platonic friendship. No matter the agreement between male and female friends, no matter the platonicity of the friendship, the whole thing is suspended and held in place by the friction that exists between the sexes; and would come crashing down otherwise. In other words, if sex were expressly ruled out from my therapy with Abbey, the entire thing would have been gross, and would surely have climaxed way before schedule, although proceeding normally, we might end up not having coitus. The friction created by the possibility of sex wafts us onwards exactly as it should. Like leading us by the nose through unknown terrains... Where we’ve been was cold like what, but we keep walking, trudging, hoping to find warmth just a few steps ahead. That hope suffices to help us travel through the Arctic even though we never find the warmth we seek.
If I crossed the Rubicon with Abbey, then we arrived at a whole new level of relations. One usually has a more valid claim over a girl he’s slept with. And, going that far would mean I was no longer a visitor or a tenant... I would become a landlord of some sort. Then access would almost always be guaranteed.
But all I could do now was lie on my bed and mope. With the music sounding so distant it was inevitable for me to appraise the tantrums of the afternoon. None of the girls did any fundamental wrong. They were just victims of circumstance, as everyone else on this planet. Doesn’t it happen in friendships – girls’ friendships – that when men happen upon the group an unknown force almost always pushes them to a particular girl? Taking Abbey and her friends for example... four pretty girls... though Sasha and Tanya seemed a little below the cadre of the other two, Tanya especially – the nerd... For Sasha and Tanya, it was probable that their men didn’t fish them out from the group. It was likely the case that they met their men in outer circles, in the absence of Abbey and Isabelle... and kept them away from the group or risked losing them to Abbey’s charm or Isabelle’s... allure. Otherwise they’d clearly be modest men who desire no women too elegant – who believe they can’t have them. Isabelle was eroticism personified. But an eligible man chancing upon the four would, eighty percent of the time, gravitate towards Abbey, simply because she wore her naivety like spectacles. Isabelle had a domineering presence, and men could really do without the threats of female lordship. And Isabelle’s beauty was too emphasized... had obviously engulfed tons of make-up. Her breasts stood like soldiers on parade. Her curves were arrogantly conspicuous no matter the clothes she wore. Everything about her was overtly pronounced. It wasn’t then to be far from the case that any man approaching would deduce, perhaps wrongly, that all this beauty, so obviously extravagant, would start to wane in no time. So they took their steps accordingly. Abbey on the other hand, had a more down-toned beauty. Like she was frugal with it or something. Drawing close, you knew there was a lot more to cherish in her – a lot more depth. Touching her, you knew the bulk of her beauty lay beneath her skin. Looking into her eyes, you were surer and could stake a bet on this claim. Kissing her, you doubted that a sweeter paradise exists. Abbey reminded me of some Nigerian women whose beauty never waned: the diplomat, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; the actress, Caroline King; the journalist, Adesuwa Onyenokwe; the politician, Daisy Danjuma; the late Maryam Babangida... and some others. These breed of women looked prettier than their daughters’ on their daughters’ wedding days. Abbey here, seemed to be of that breed, but it was too early to tell yet. For now, beauty was still her right. Beauty being almost a right in youth and a privilege in senescence! Isabelle becomes the bitter member of the group... for she saw no reason why the men they met tilted towards Abbey. I was to learn that it was the same thing when Naeto and his crew breezed by. Isabelle’s bitterness drove her to such ridiculous fits of rage as to try to snatch men away from Abbey’s embrace. And it was her aggressiveness that was toning down her charm. Leaving the group and going off on her own wasn’t easy to accomplish. She’d done that a few times in the past perhaps, to go and enjoy secret love affairs but returned after the love boat keeled over. One couldn’t have any lasting emotional affiliation hiding away from her best friends. And perhaps she knew that if she got half the men that flocked to Abbey, she’d produce, in no time at all, a spicier love relationship than Abbey could accomplish. Abbey, to Isabelle, must have appeared to be wasting men... because of her naivety. This was what I thought, until I started to learn new, queer things about their friendship.
I kept thinking about the two girls until I fell asleep.
               
                I was awakened by a knock on the door. Instrumental music was playing on my laptop. Reminded me that this wasn’t Nigeria – there’d been power all through the night. There was always light. Images sliding by on the screen... a recent picture: Tanya, Me, Abbey, and Isabelle – the night out. Sasha took the picture. I was looking at Isabelle. Damn! The girl was truly beautiful. I went to get the door. Abbey was all dressed for work already, looking radiant as usual. Sharp.
                “I’m going to work. There’s breakfast on the dining table for you. And there’s lunch in the kitchen.”
                “Okay. Thanks.” Cold.
                “I’m sorry about yesterday,” she said.
                “I’m sorry too.” I truly was.
She was staring at me, then came for a kiss... I gave a peck. She was disappointed.
                “See you later.” She left.
                I went back to sleep some more before going to bathe. Then I wore my second pair of jeans and T-shirt, though I wasn’t sure where I was going to go today. But I knew that, in any case, I’d end up taking a walk, no matter what. I went and gobbled up the breakfast of cereals, and then hit the road.
                At the gate when Zuma stopped me, I felt uncomfortable because I thought I’d become a part of Abbey’s life now. I thought Abbey had left instructions. I feared she had. Zuma told me I had a note. He went into the gatehouse and re-emerged with the folded paper. I thought... ‘I’m sorry note’ or what! Or ‘leave my house note’! Whatever it was she wrote on the paper, I was sure going to be amazed. I opened the paper and, yeah, I was amazed. More so than I’d thought I would be.
                Ring me
                Isabelle.
... with what I thought must be her phone number sprawled across the paper in queer handwriting. I chuckled, then swallowed hard, unsure of what I should do. I stepped out of the gate still staring at the piece of paper... in welcome amazement. Zuma closed the gate.
I heard his phone ring. I lingered around.
                “Hello madam.”
It was Abbey no doubt.
                . . . .
                “No, he just leave, madam.”
                . . . .
                “No ma, he no tell me, madam.”
Call ended.
Abbey wanted to know my whereabouts huh! In the evening it would be established that I left the house... would she think I went anywhere else but to Isabelle’s? Zuma had told her that ‘he just leave’... He just left: ten minutes later he shows up at your office... where else was he going but thither! There we go... where I was going had crystallized out of nowhere. I walked to the junction and hailed a cab. The driver knew the complex. Fine. I was heading to Abbey’s office.
                I met a pretty lady at the desk in the reception. I complemented her neat, smart appearance. And when she smiled, I let her know how her face illumed. I lingered in front of her desk awhile... flirting with her. She told me Abbey was in. I was lucky to catch her before she stepped out for lunch. I knocked gently and she invited me in. She was surprised to see me... her suspicions crumbling, for I couldn’t have gone to Isabelle’s and come here all in the space of thirteen minutes or thereabouts. Her surprise was turning to elation, and then smiles.
                “Hi!” I said.
                “Hi!” she managed.
I moved closer and stared at her for what seemed like an hour. Then I looked at her desk and the papers and files and computer... all called work. She was confused, and asked,
                “What brings you?”
                “The evenings are too short for break up, inhibitions, and make up... I thought I should come start the process of reconciliation, so we can both look forward to a beautiful evening at home... if you agree? Let’s light a match in this our gas laden atmosphere and flare up our tensions. What do you think?”
                “It’s nice.” She cleared her throat. “It’s nice.”
                “So... may I sit?”
                “Sure! Forgive me please.”
I sat on the edge of her desk, in front of her.
                “What can I offer you?” She stood, visibly uncomfortable.
                “Must you offer me something? Thought you offered me breakfast... and lunch... already?”
                “I mean... would you like to drink anything?”
                “No baby. Don’t bother.”
She sat down, and I stood, and walked around, and closer to her.
                “Baby... the truth is... I just couldn’t wait to kiss you again. I didn’t foresee that fight. I was looking forward to pure bliss yesterday... but then...”
She must have felt the same way; as I drew ever so closer she warmed up to me and we kissed... deeply... then caress... then we lost control....
                Next thing I know I had Abbey on the desk and thrusting hard. She moaned immitigably, and I knew the receptionists and people passing by heard. The door wasn’t even locked. I was her lunch. By the time we came back to sanity I was the one on Abbey’s chair now, and she was sprawled in my arms, spent. I understand it’s called a quickie – what we just did. I discovered she was deeply hungry for sex. And I only succeeded in watering the hunger and made it grow. Her eyes were closed, and she wanted to make sure she bit my lips of today. She didn’t care about the door, or about anyone bumping in on us. It was great sex. I was lucky she wasn’t a champ... or I wouldn’t feel so manly as I felt. Foreplay usually made me come early. I didn’t even have a firm erection. But today, thrusting as soon as I hardened was the best sex I ever had. Plus, it was with the best girl I ever met. Arguably. If it was Isabelle, I was sure the outcome would be different... but I didn’t think I’d mind the challenge.
                “Hey baby,” I struggled for space to speak, restraining her. “I gotta go... look... I gotta go Abbey, I gotta go... so you can face your work. Lunch must be over already. We’ll continue when you get home.”
I dressed her up, while she still fell over me like one hypnotized.
“Baby, I’ll need a little advance payment so I can take care of some things,” I said.
“That’s true,” she said, “but all I have here is...” she looked in her drawer, “...about a thousand Rands... you just hold on to it... I’ll get you more from the ATM on my way home.”
“Thanks baby,” I said.
 “Why? You earned it. I should be thanking you really.”
I earned it? That made me feel like a prostitute who’d just been paid after a... quickie.
“I’ll see you later.”
I planted one on her lips, and made for the door. At the door I blew one, and then left.


No comments:

Post a Comment