Tuesday 28 April 2015

LABYRINTHS - EIGHTEEN

                I called Isabelle and she said she was at a printing press trying to produce copies of something she designed on her lap top.
                “Belle, is that more important than that your friend is back from the hospital? Don’t you have a heart?”
                “I told you I will see her. I will. Why don’t you just trust me!”
                “You know what?”
                “What?”
                “If you ask me to trust you I will.”
                “Really, honey?”
                “Yup!”
                “Then trust me.”
                “Then I do. I do trust you... I only hope you know what you’re doing.” I cut the call.
One more call before I hand the phone back to the owner. I hid the number and I dialled Nigeria.
The call connected and I looked at the door of my room to confirm that it was securely closed... and that no one could hear.
                “Hello?” came the voice from Nigeria.
                “Hi Sister, it’s Jude.”
                “I know it’s you... Did you run away?”
                “How can you ask me that... why would I want to run away... run away from what... for what?”
She paused to take it all in. “To escape your responsibilities, of course!”
                “Sister there’s no need for you to talk to me that way.”
                “Sure ‘bout that? Jude are you sure about that! I’ve been trying to reach you for God knows how long now. I’ve borne all these troubles all alone and you tell me that I have no right to talk to you this way?” She sounded hurt.
                “I didn’t say you have no right to talk to me... I said there was no need...”
                “Where have you been?” she cut me.
I dared not say I was out of the country.
                “At work.”
                “At work? That you couldn’t keep in touch... when you know your number is switched off?”
                “Teresa... I’m terribly sorry... but... but... you know I’m working hard so everything will be alright. I just can never thank you enough for having been there for me all these years.”
We both started to cry.
                “Jude?”
                “Yes?”
Silence...
                “When I tried to call some weeks back and couldn’t reach you it wasn’t to ask you for money. I realized that I’ve never told you how brave you’ve been... how strong... and how so very proud of you I am. I realized I’ve never really commended your being there all these years...”
                “C’mon Teres... don’t talk like I’m any better than you... like I’m as good as you are even. Of course this is my responsibility, but you, you have nothing to do with this... you could easily walk away now and no one will blame you; you will even be commended for holding on for five years; five long, hard years. Teres... your personality is... sublime, your humanity enchanting. I could never thank you enough, never...”
                “Stop it Jude. Don’t count me out like that. Don’t push me away... don’t exclude me like that. I’m here because I want to be, and I’m as much an intrinsic part of this as you are. It’s in giving meaning to this that I give meaning to myself... my existence. Doing this fulfils me... And many times I think that I want to do this for as long as I may live. To do this with you... together... in an enabling environment... “
                “Teres!” I wanted to speak....
                “Don’t shout me down, for I blaspheme not!” she yelled. “I’m only just confiding in you what thoughts invade the sincerity of my mind. I have no evil intentions, but at a workshop a long time ago when I started out on this journey, we watched The Sound of Music and were enjoined to search our souls to determine what our true callings may be. In the face of a cruel world it’s easy to wake up and decide that you want to live a celibate life forever, but when you see the best and brightest radiance of humanity on display in one man against... the… the… dome of darkness of the masses, you may re-think your decision. Without a man like you in this world I wouldn’t even be thinking these thoughts. But I know God has a purpose for everything, perhaps, even for the trying circumstances under which we met. I’m neither saying nor suggesting anything to you, Jude, I just thought I might... applaud your beautiful commitment to your responsibilities. I hope you know that men like you, if they exist, are so rare...
But don’t let what I’ve said add to your present worries, okay. It’s all your call; it’s always been and will always be. And I know you’re wise... I know you’ll choose what’s best for you both... I just thought I might bring this to your notice though, before you start thinking who the mother of your children might be. I want to make sure you consider all the options open to you.”
                “Teres... I’m short of words.” I really was. “I appreciate everything you’ve said... everything you’ve done... you’re just... magical. And I will always thank you no matter what you say...” I paused for a while, then “How is he?”
                “Like I said, when I tried last time to reach you it was to tell you all these. But now I need to tell you that we need money. He’s in the hospital...”
                “What?! What’s wrong with him?”
                “Please calm down. It’s probably simple malaria or something... but we need money to know for certain... and to treat it.”
                “Know what, Teres, just try and do what you can please... aight. I’ll come down next week with some money...”
                “Can’t you send through the bank... as usual?”
                “I’m afraid, no.”
                “Why? You’re broke?”
                “Um... I’m not in the country right now.”
                “What... you’re not... where are you?”
                “I’m in South Africa... Look, work brought me here, but I’ll come down to Enugu next week to see you guys. I can’t go sending money from a bank here because my visa’s already expired.”
                “...Means you’ve been there for long?”
                “Erm... two months... roughly.”
                “You’ve been away for two months, and you never bothered to...”
                “Teresa please, I beg you, don’t start. Please. I beg you in the name of God. I’m sorry but I’ll explain everything to you when I come. Please.”
Teresa could be really impulsive.
                “Okay. But, tell me, what kinda work are you doing in South Africa?”
                “Erm... erm... I came here to volunteer... to volunteer for the World Cup...”
                “Volunteer for the World Cup?” Sounded like she didn’t believe me.
                “Yes Teres... I promise to tell you all about it when I return.”
                “Okay...” She mellowed acquiescingly.
                “Will you do what you can for him until I return?”
                “You know I will. Always.”
                “Thank you so much, Teres... May God Almighty never cease to bless you.”
                “Amen. And you too.”
                “I gotta go now, please give him my regards. And tell Sister Adaora that I said hi.”
                “Alright, I will. Jude?”       
                “Yeah?”
                “Take care of yourself, okay!”
                “I will. Bye!”
                “Bye dear.” She cut the call.
                ???


                I edited the call register deleting all my calls. Then I went to meet Abbey in her room and told her of all the people that called when she was... incommunicado.
I gave her back her phone... and her wallet, and told her that whatever money was missing was fuel money for all the hospital runs. And that was the truth. She’d probably brought that money for me, but I didn’t need to take it without being given.
I stayed for a while and we talked, and then I went out for a walk.
                At the gate I said to Zuma,
                “I told her how helpful you were, and she really appreciates. I’m sure she’ll tell you that herself or... or show you. Meanwhile, have this... for all your help.”
I squared the guy some... reasonable Rands. He was appreciative of the gesture, in a way that he couldn’t speak perhaps. Or maybe he didn’t completely understand me.
I walked through the gate. I needed the walk and air like an addict needs drugs. I needed to think about everything... put them all in perspective and knock them off one after the other. The conversation with Sister Teresa was a new development, but I couldn’t say it was strange. I hoped I was still going to live up to seventy... or eighty, because I wondered why the whole events of my life wanted to take place right now – as if there was no time.


No comments:

Post a Comment